History of the
Bloody Run Historical Society
THE BLOODY RUN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad was chartered in 1852 to provide a rail link from Huntingdon to Bedford for the purpose of shipping high quality coal mined on the Broad Top to market. The line from Hopewell to Mt. Dallas was completed in 1863. This line also carried timber, freight and passengers too and fro. At Mt. Dallas it merged with the Pennsylvania RR's Bedford & Bridgeport line heading west. The H&B|TMRR declared bankruptcy and ceased operations in 1954 when all original equipment was sold.
A group of Everett interested parties organized the Everett Railroad Co. in 1954. It ran from Tatesville to Mt. Dallas and was also used as a tourist attraction by the newly formed South Penn RR Museum. By running weekend excursion trips pulled by a steam locomotive visitors were treated to a nostalgic trip around Everett until 1971 when this old equipment was sold off to the Williams Grove Amusement Park in Dillsburgs PA. In 1983 the Everett RR moved its more modem equipment to Claysburg.
The remaining passenger and freight depots dating from 1906 were utilized by various businesses, but eventually abandoned. In 1989 Bob Ridenour organized a group to purchase, move and restore these beautiful buildings. With the help of the Everett business and private community Mr. Ridenour raised enough money to do that. In late 1989 the buildings were moved by Earl Miller from their original location behind Everett Hardwood to the Everett Borough school site between 5th and 6th streets.
Restoration took place over the next 5 years.
In 1997 the Bloody Run Historical Society was formed and given permission to use the buildings as a museum by the Borough. Meanwhile, the old steam locomotive, tender and caboose from Everett's excursion days had languished until eventually inoperable at the Williams Grove Amusement Park for 21 years until miraculously discovered by Everett's Barb Miller. At her urging the old train was purchase by the BRHS and move by (You guessed it) Earl Miller to their present location adjacent to the depots. Soon after restoration work was done to the engine and tender. With the help of recently secured funding work is underway to restore the caboose.
However, the rail equipment is only part of our story. Since 1997 a group of dedicated volunteers have worked diligently to fill both depots with memorabilia generously donated by Everett area individuals and businesses. Additionally, BRHS Historians, Barbara Miller and Pat Morgart have compiled thousands of old photos, documents, and newspaper articles vividly telling Everett's commercial and industrial story, most of which be found in the Main Street Exhibit located in the freight depot. The museum is always interested in receiving additional materials which may be loaned or donated. Pat Morgart also crafts a monthly Everett heritage display at the Everett Free Library.
The BRHS has routinely hosted fascinating open house presentations featuring a range historical topics in the freight depot on the 3rd Sunday of spring and summer months in addition to "field trips" led by area historians. It is hoped that this schedule will grow.
© 2016 Bloody Run Historical Society